Monday, May 10, 2021

INNOVATE TO ZERO GHG EMISSIONS

As per Bill Gates latest book entitled "How to avoid Climate Disaster", 51 billion tons of CO2 equivalent (CO2e) GHG (5 greenhouse gases) are released into the atmosphere each year. 

That's like 6.46 tons of CO2e GHG a year per living person (7.89 billion people
almost 10x the amount of trash each American produces a year per each living person on the planet
or 
= 0.603 kgs (~1,3 lbs) of CO2e GHG per each US$ earned/produced in 2020 (Global GDP)

Zero is the number of net/new GHG emissions the planet needs to reach by the year 2050 to avoid worldwide climate catastrophe...a tall order considering where we are, today, and that the 2020 pandemic only decreased emissions by 5-7%!

Reductions to Zero GHG Emissions is needed by 2050,
to avoid planet heating beyond 1.5°C average planet temperature, and with this increase trigger tipping points of runaway GHG emissions (f.i the release of more than 20 years of CO2 equivalent GHG currently frozen under the Siberian Permafrost) that may abruptly change climate and kill orders of magnitude more than 2020 COVIT-19 Pandemic, every year...

To reduce GHG emission to Net-Zero is not just task of transportation sector by transforming ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) cars, trucks, ships and jetsTransport combined are 16% of all GHG emissions, but all other 84% of GHG emissions in other sectors of the Global Economy also need to be made emission free.

The GHG (Green House Gases) emissions per sector of the economy are distributed as per the following chart detailed in the book:


How hard is this mission to reduce GHG emissions to Zero? 

If 2020 COVIT-19 lockdowns were hard to swallow, estimates show that GHG emissions may have fallen ONLY up to 7%  as a result of the pandemic slowdown. We need to do the other 93% in 28 years.

Was this 2020 emissions reduction due to lower Energy consumption? EIA’s Monthly Energy Review, energy-related carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions decreased by 11% in the United States in 2020.

So it's hard to make Transport & Electricity emissions free, but we are on our way. 

According to Gates, the hardest sector needing technical breakthroughs to decarbonize is also the largest GHG emitter: Industrial. Many are trying to reduce de price to zero emissions Cement and Steel as well as looking for substitutes but not even close to what is needed to cut those emissions in 50% by 2030, at an affordable rate. We need to reduce the costs of emission-free alternatives on all sectors of the economy, as Gates articulates on his book and posts in social networks as the ones bellow:


But there are hopeful prospects in the other sectors like Electricity that have already drastically reduced their Green premium, like batteries, the holy grail for renewable energy storage.



Gates warned us in TED 2014 (bellow) about the Pandemic and the world mostly ignored, and was not prepared in 2020 for COVIT-19 outbreak.



Gates also warned us in TED 2010 (bellow) about needing to have a ZERO GHG EMISSION, and his 2021 book is his 2nd reminder...we might not get a 3rd one, so better join a Zero emissions solutions peer-group like Project Drawdown and get involved in researching / building / adopting / advocating for the Zero emission solutions we need to Avoid the Climate Disaster.






No comments: